Friday, June 21, 2013

A little mix-ability magic

I enjoy creating all sorts of projects but I am really intrigued right now with mixed media.  I have been following Mona Pendleton's blog Cupcake's creations for quite some time, soaking in her beautiful art work!  She is so talented and the sweetest person too!  When she came out with her own line of stamps, stencils and other mix-ability items for "My Favorite Things", I just had to purchase a few items!  

I played along with SCS mix-ability challenge to create this card!

I used TH Distress Stains, Victorian Velvet and Tumbled glass. Scraped Gesso over the top using a gift card.  Stamped the distress stamps and realized that the black ink was too bold so I covered it with a thin layer of gesso.  When the paper was dry I sponged "Broken China" around the edges.
I created the banner using MFT Party Banner and used the same technique as above for the color.

I stamped the heart from Mark's Finest Papers & Stamps a HC - Be Proud and colored it with Copics.  Even though I thought I was using a good color of blue the shade turned out just a bit off so a dab of gesso fixed that!  I distressed the edges with a distressing tool and darkened the edges with ink.

For my final touch I sprinkled white acrylic paint on the card.


I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:
Clearly iStamp - Red, White, and Blue
Cut it Up - Red, White, and Blue - plus a die cut (party banner)
Craftin Desert Diva - Red, White and Blue
Pink by Design - Red, White and Blue
Creative Inspiration - Red, White and Blue

Thanks for looking!
MFP stamp set used - Be Proud

Stamp: MFT MPD Distressed Background Blocks
Acces: MFT Die-namics - Party Banner
Inks & Stains - TH Distress Stains, Victorian Velvet and Tumbled Glass, Broken China Ink


15 comments:

  1. Wow what a neat effect and look to the card. Love it!! I haven't got into mixed media as I'm a hands on learner and no classes around here. But that's okay I will oooohhh and awwwhhh over your work.

    Thank you for playing in Clearly iStamp Blog Challenge #1 - color challenge- red, white, blue! Have a great weekend.

    Kathy D.
    CDS DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a awesome effect. I love the mixed media. Your card is gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Clearly iStamp.
    Nancy Clearly iStamp Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely effect. Can't get on with mixed media myself - get in a nice old mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful piece of artwork I just love the color and design. Amazing piece
    Thank you for joining us at Creative inspiration paints.
    CI design team member
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty, Angie!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Beautiful!!!!
    Thank you for joining us at Cut It Up Challenges.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, I love the different shades of blue and textures. Thanks for joining our 1st challenge at Clearly iStamp. Dawn Frost guest DT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet that was a fun card to create. Looks wonderful! The blues remind me of denim -- very American!
    Thanks for linking to Cut it Up Challenges!
    Evelyn
    http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous! I love the way the gesso interacts with the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing such a cute card with us at Clearly istamp. Really like the worn look. Hugs~ Helen GDT

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at gesso! Your card is awesome! Love how you used gesso to help make it the color you wanted it. The banner is great too! Thank you for joining us at Clearly iStamp! :) ~Katy, GDT

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME card, and I LOVE how you've used gesso to get the look you wanted. Very creative! Love the banner and the heart especially! Thanks so much for joining us at CI Paints this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is fabulous. I am going to have to get some gesso one of these days and start doing more mixed media. I have paint and that will work, but making myself get started is another thing or two or three. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors and the background work :) THanks for joining us at Cut It Up Challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you go with the mixed media. I am very interested in that, too. Haven't done a challenge in a couple weeks or more, though. You did a fab job with this patriotic card.

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your sweet comments!!!! Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

Pop the Bubbly for IO Team Favorites

 "Pop the Bubbly" is a fun sentiment and included in the Wine Sayings stamp set .  This is a sweet set for celebrations regardless...